Monday, August 18, 2008

Back to work: busy work and Day 8 - Stop using your credit card!

Day 8: Stop using your credit cards

OK, I am finally sitting down and getting through some of the stuff. It has still been kinda crazy around here, with the short vacations and getting ready for school and starting soccer and.. and.. and...I could go on. Anyway, I have been pretty good about not using our credit card these last two months. I did have to use it to get some gas right before I got paid this last week, but I made a payment to the card the day I was paid, so I feel OK about it. I think if I know I can repay the card within the week, I will feel good if I have to use it. Since we had only $10 in our bank account, and I have to drive about an hour each way to work, well, you get the idea. Gas is not cheap! Although I am thankful that it has gone down lately.
I think I had a belief in my head that using my credit card made me seem important. I would use it to go out for dinner, take clients to lunch, buy gifts, etc. These things are nice if I could have afforded them on my own, but I never paid it back. Even if I expense the lunch, when I got the check from work I would have to pay bills with it instead of pay back the money I borrowed. I still realize that we have to be able to pay our bills, but we are trying our hardest not to use those pesky cards.
I do believe I have to analyze my spending some more. I know there are things that we buy at the grocery store or on the go that we really don;t need. We also have a budget that we made, but we need to sit down and go over it for this last month so we can find out if it is working. The good news is I did receive a decent commission this month, but next month is not looking so good, so we may be back to trying to struggle to make the payments. I am hoping we can put more down toward our emergency fund with that extra money. All is in God's hands, and I am trying to be wise with what he has given me!

No comments: